Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Great Mommy Moment

I had one of those mommy moments today- you know the ones that make you cringe with embarrassment at the time, but then later just make you laugh- hard. Today was Jesse's first day of preschool. It was a slow start day, so only 2 hours today. We've chosen a new preschool for Jesse (different from the one Jack went to). He's going to preschool at the First Presbyterian downtown. I'm really excited about this choice. Along with the regular preschool curriculum, he'll be learning a bible scripture each month and a themed life lesson. This month is Kindness. Other months will be Joy, Friendship, Patience etc. All things Jesse needs a little extra help with. So I pick him up after school- he's happy and had a great 2 hours- and we walk down the steps of the large gothic style church and he chooses this moment to scream- at the top of his lungs- his first expletive, "Damn It."

To the best of my knowledge he's never said a "bad" word before, let alone SCREAMED one at the top of his lungs at the front of a church. I could not believe it! I whipped around and said the natural mommy thing, "What did you say?" and he repeated it. I quickly did a look around to see who could have heard him. Luckily no one was around. So he was repremanded and we went to the car.

Of all the places to have his first curse word come out of his mouth!

3 comments:

jennilynn10 said...

LOL. I'm still waiting to hear his explanation ;)

jennilynn10 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh Renee! My son is now 35 but I DO recall him doing much the same. It's times like that (even though I found myself laughing under my breath at your son's SCREAMING his new words!!!) that make you want to just act like "that is NOT my child"! LOL!

Not only do children "say the darndest things" but they pick the most horrible times for their parents, to say them!

I now have 2 Grandsons; almost 3 and almost 3 months!! I cannot wait to see what the 3 year old does to his parents!! William is definitely getting to the age that it's about that time!!

Best of luck to you Renee! "Luck" *does* have a lot to do with children and their "newly acquired words"!! They just LOVE to use them at the most horrible times for us!!

Hugs!

*Ü*